Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Friend, My Inspiration

My dear friend and sister rejoiced in telling me
  of her latest feat in eating 'on a dime'.
  She can make a complete meal for
  her boyfriend and herself for $2.80.

I was only able to accomplish that when
  I was living in Viet Nam where the
  cost of living is far below that of the US.

For the feat of eating in the most healthy way she can discover,
  I love my friend.

For the daily accomplishment of living in her car,
  I love my friend.

For getting up every day to face another challenge,
  I love my friend.

I rejoice in knowing her, in having the opportunity
  to share some small part of life with her,
  to learn from her the wisdom-born-of-poverty.

She inspires me to remember gratitude for
  all that I am fortunate to have, and to question
  whether I really, really need all that other stuff.

And, she makes me smile,
  deep in my soul.

I thank you, God, for Michelle.
  Bless her this night and all the nights
  to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment