Monday, February 18, 2013

My Fear, A Friend

It would be misleading to imply
  that my heart is free from fear.

In fact, fear tries ever so valiantly
  to be my constant companion,
  warning me of the dire consequences
  of this or that.

It has grown fangs and claws
  to put upon my body the
  pain it wreaks upon my spirit.

And, it has learned to catch me
  in the most fragile of moments,
  in the dark of night,
  when I endeavor to quiet my mind...

No, I do not live without fear.

I have learned, though, about my fear.
  I have witnessed the many aliases
  it assumes to divert my attention
  to its dire messages.

I have felt the scourge of it
  upon my body, and observed
  the forgery of 'reality' it claims
  as it twists my thoughts to its purpose.

I am learning my fear,
  developing awareness of it
  in the moments it strives to obscure
  itself behind 'rational' thought
  or crush my chest in the panic
  it spreads.

And, as I learn my fear,
  it loses its power over me.
  I can see it for what it is, and
  know that it is my choice about
  what comes next.

I can love it, thank it for its
  everpresent watchfulness for
  my safety and its creative endeavors
  to direct my attention to the dangers.

And

I can reassure it that all is okay,
  that I am aware of the danger,
  that I am safe,
  that there is a path forward,
  that I am being guided to walk that path...

Then,
  assured that it has accomplished its purpose,
  it can rest,
  albeit with eyes open
  and senses atuned to danger...
  ready always
  to alert and protect.

My fear,
  a friend
  but not
  the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment