Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas, 2011

Christmas in This Year, 2011
Sitting here at my desk, peering out at the majestic pines,
  I am reminded of a night so many years past
  when sitting at another desk, I peered out into the Montana snow
  and witnessed as a story -- my first –
  materialized on the white page at my fingertips.

Many blank pages have been filled since that tender age of 15.

Some smeared by tears from loss and deep remorse;
  some wrinkled and torn by the anger rippling through my veins;
  many rejoicing in hope – founded, renewed, encouraged;
  some withered and pale as the words lightly touched and almost disappeared,
  reflecting the weary soul imparting them;
  many filled with questions, some answered, some still mysteries;
  many dancing with love and glee and humor.

All reflecting a journey of soul through this incarnation.
  Not so different than any other sharing this path called life.
  Unique in its iteration, yet shared in its connection to the all.

So, where does that leave me this Christmas in the year 2011?

With three grown children, a son ‘to be’,
  a new daughter, not formally, but really,
  and a grandchild, already almost 3 years old!

Less 95% of my material belongings;
  sharing a home with friends;
  living in the space of transition;
  a space between ‘then’ and ‘next’.

The space, next, to which I journey
  is inspired by the lives and faith of
  two blessed beings, my mother and father,
  by a profound gratitude for all that
  I have been blessed with in this life,
  and by an equally profound desire
  to give back to life.

I thought I knew what ‘next’ was,
  but ever reminded that I know far less than I think,
  I step forward in humility and openness
  to what may come,
  praying that there, indeed, is something I can offer
  to bring beauty and love to this world.

I know not where I am headed,
  only that I set foot upon this path
  and that each day, I take another step,
  and another.

So, you see,
  our paths are not so different.

We all are challenged to step forward
  again
  each day
  mostly in faith,
  for ours is not to know the future
  but to act according to the truth
  embedded in our souls this day.

It matters not the particular brand of faith,
  really.

It all, in the end, comes down to
  love lived;
  grace and compassion offered
  to one’s self and others;
  discovery and revelation in
  the mystery and beauty all round us;
  and gratitude for life -- all of it.

This is what flows from spirit through my fingers
  when I consider this Christmas,
  36 years after that first story emerged.

I do love you all.

I wish for you a blessed new year
  as you tread upon your life path.

I pray you will feel the profound awe
  inspired by the earth, all its creatures,
  the universe in which it spins,
  and this mysterious, confounding, wonderful
  gift called life.

I hope that you will be given
  the gifts of compassion, grace and love,
  and that you will find opportunity
  to share those gifts with another.

All my love,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment