Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Turning the Gaze of the Rich Uncle

The days are slipping by
  and I suddenly realize that
  I've been back from Viet Nam
  already almost five weeks.

It was my intent to spend time
  with family and friends during
  what I believed would be a short
  stop before the next call of Spirit.

What I didn't realize is how difficult
  the re-integration back into this society
  would be for me.

A dear friend and pastor once told a story
  about a rich uncle, obese with wealth,
  who regularly laid out feasts for his kin
  and who then threw the scraps to his
  dogs.

Meanwhile, on his front steps lay
  the hungry, the cold, the homeless,
  the hurting.

He never once turned his head
  to thier plight,
  nor did he ever question the possible
  implications of his actions
  on those others.

'As a country,' my friend asserted,
  'we are that rich uncle.'

I witness that, I see it,
  it breaks my heart.
  And, the answer runs so much more deeply
  than 'giving at the office'.

It is the way we live, our very lifestyle,
  that is hurting others in our own country
  and all round the world.

We have the fortune of being born into
  the richest, most powerful country
  in the world.

It is easy to forget that when burdened
  by the impact of this current economy
  and the strife we feel here.

But, it is true nonetheless.
  Knowing how difficult it is for us now,
  imagine how much more difficult it is
  for someone who can't rely on having
  clean water to drink or food for one's children
  or safe refugee from the storms of life.

And, even if we can't see or imagine it,
  our daily life decisions,
  our lifestyle,
  does impact people all round the world.

It is the nature of living in such a powerful
  and wealthy country.

I so pray that this rich uncle could,
  would turn his gaze to those
  at his doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment