Sunday, March 31, 2013

Stasis is an Illusion

How do you flow smoothly
  through life's changes,
  like a stream flowing
  from the mountain to the sea?

On the train journey,
  I experienced continual change.
  The train, always moving forward,
  revealed to me a bit of life just once
  as it moved into the future.

Even the stops along the way
  were about change...
  a new place,
  new faces,
  new beds and food,
  and then,
  the departure.

And, as I said 'goodbye'
  the train sped toward
  the next future.

It felt, at times, disconcerting,
  for there really was no
  stable place, nor had I
  time to 'plant my feet',
  only to experience and witness.

Life is like that as well.

We build structures around us and
  fill them with materials things
  to give us a sense of place.
  All these things are good,
  home, family, place...

What I am questioning, however, is
  if their presence creates an illusion
  of invariability,
  and if that illusion
  begets a blindness to the reality that

  life is change.

And, this leads me back to my original question,
  which is this...
  If change is the nature of life,
   why do I experience it with such trepidation?
   why do I work so hard to create the illusion of stasis?
   why do I fall back in fear when I see change?
   why do I feel as if I'm being dragged to a party
    to which I don't want to go?

Fighting change is like fighting one's own nature.

So, if my intent were to experience
  life as the stream moving smoothly
  over rocks and around bends,
  what would that look like?

What would it feel like to embrace
  the nature of one's being,
  to fully let go into life,
  to stay fully in this passing moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment