Wednesday, April 3, 2013

So Much More

The tears well,
  my heart pounds.

I don't know why...

Sitting with it,
  feeling it,
  watching as the
  tears rise and subside,
  listening to the soft clatter
  of my fingers upon the keys,
  anticipating, wondering...

Gratitude.

My father,
  the quiet and powerful sage
  said, 'I am so grateful!'

I, in my youthful arrogance,
  understood not
  his profound thankfulness
  for that which was a
  typical part of our lives...
  food, water, shelter, family.

To that point,
  I had never experienced need or loss...
  I had never been asked to say 'goodbye'.

So many moons have risen since then.
  And with those moons, life has come to me
  in all its shapes and forms, including the
  request and requirement
  that I say 'goodbye'.

I understand gratefulness.
  I feel it in the depths of my soul.
  It feels as the most profound prayer,
  the most intimite connection with God.

I am grateful for my wise and patient father,
  for the lessons that life has brought to me,
  for the gentle persistence of the spirits in teaching
  me the lessons I came here to learn,
  and for so much more...

so much more...

No comments:

Post a Comment