Thursday, April 4, 2013

Security...the Opening Round

So, what is this thing security anway?

I think...
  health care for if I get hurt.
  retirement for when I can no longer care for myself.
  food and shelter...and water.
  Those things, I believe, will make me secure...
  make me feel as if I am secure.

But, what if I get in a car wreck and die?
  What good did the health care do?

What if there is a run on the banks and my retirement is lost?
What if there is a storm, or a fire, or a robbery and my home is destroyed?
What if there is a world-wide warming in the weather that lays barren the land?
What if a nuclear power plant develops a leak which seeps into the ocean
  and is swept by the currents to the shores from which I gather my water?

How much security is enough?
How much is needed to feel safe?
Have you ever read the numbers provided by the insurance agent?  
How many million dollars do you need to feel safe in your old age?

Can you ever even get that?

And, what will you give up to get it?

It seems a bottomless whirlpool,
  a vortex of fear, buy, fear, buy,
  run, run, run, run
  but never, 
  never,
  never really
  true security.

The logic goes nowhere, ends nowhere,
  feeds only my fear,
  means,
  in the end,
  nothing.

So, what is this thing security, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment