Sunday, June 23, 2013

Claire Voyyd

This story picks up from ‘Innocence’, posted on June 24th.

‘I lived in Southern California.  I was the classic “California Girl”.  At least I strived to be anyway.  And believe it or not, I had a figure to die for!

‘We had another bonfire party going.  The booze was flowing and there was a fog of MaryJane floating all round us.

‘I don’t know what it was.  But, something felt different.  I was just settling into the party when suddenly the voices and music were silenced.  It was really trippy!  I could see my friends’ lips moving, but couldn’t hear their voices?!  I knew the radio was still playing because kids were dancing on the beach.  And, I could see them laughing.  It was the strangest thing.

‘Then, I realized I could hear the ocean and the wind.  It was a gentle night, just a slight breeze.  But, I could hear the waves lapping against the shore!  And, I could hear the wind blowing through the trees on the dunes.

‘My friend elbowed me then. Apparently, she had been saying something to me, but I hadn’t heard.  Now, she was yelling at me.  I knew that exacerbated look.  But, I couldn’t hear her.

‘Any other time, this would have totally freaked me out.  But, it was mesmerizing…’

Claire emerged from her reverie long enough to see the smirks on the women’s faces.  She snapped, ‘No!  I wasn’t stoned!  Geeze, you guys!  Give me a break!  It’s not like I was always stoned!’  Flustered by Claire’s rebuke, the women sank into their chairs, tight lipped and stone-faced. 

She took a deep breath, and then a long, slow drag from her ‘cigarette’.  No one moved.  ‘Anyway, I left the bonfire.  It was the wrong energy.  Even though I couldn’t hear it, it was too noisy.  I wanted desperately to be away from all of it.  So, I left to follow the call of the ocean.

‘The closer I moved to the ocean, the louder and more insistent became its call.  Its pull was resolute, rhythmic, steady.  I walked along the shore, listening, watching the waves in the moonlight, feeling like I was finally where I was supposed to be.  Nothing else existed or mattered.

‘The moon set alight the water in front of me.  The light countered every step I took to move closer, drifting away yet calling always, and never, never allowing the gap to close.  I don’t know how long I walked that night. 

‘Suddenly, Mark was next to me.  I felt his arm slide effortlessly around my waist, his hand caress my bare stomach.’  Claire’s face reddened as she recalled the moment. ‘It…no, he, was an offense, an insult to the sacredness of that moment!’  Tightening her fist, she exclaimed, ‘It was all I could do to not belt him right then and there!  How could he be so arrogant and impudent?!

‘I cut off his dim-witted come-on before he could get it out of his mouth and threw his arm away from me!’  Smiling contentedly, Claire continued, ‘I told him to get the hell away from me…in no uncertain terms!’

The women giggled at this.  They loved Claire’s audacious and confident nature.  They wished they could be more like her.  They had grown reliant on hearing her stories for through them, the women could live for just a moment as a beautiful, outspoken, carefree girl…and never have to step outside their tightly-bound zones of comfort.

‘The moon on the water lingered, waiting for me to dispel the rude intrusion into our space.  When I turned my gaze back, it lingered still, whispering to me in the rhythmic pulse of the waves-on-sand.  “Relax,” it said.  “Breath, feel the flow, be one with the flow…”

‘And again, I was walking.  The waves lapped at my feet.  The water was warm, inviting, luring…’  Claire’s voice drifted as if carried by the sea, tranquil, quiet.  The women watched in the hush, barely breathing, feeling the sand beneath their toes, captivated by the light.

‘The next thing I remember,’ whispered Claire, ‘I was swimming along the shore, following the moon.  The water caressed my skin as I rose and fell with the undulating sea.  No longer was I Claire.  I was not even human.  

'I was the swell of the waves, the salt in the air.  I was every droplet of moist, warm water washing over the land, supple, lush and full, divine and succulent.  I was the sea.'

Mouths agape, the women stared into the vision, feeling alive in ways they had long since forgotten, desiring more...

No comments:

Post a Comment