Sunday, June 23, 2013

Estelle

‘That was the other day!’ shouted Estelle.  ‘It don’t matter to me today!’  Turning, she stomped off.

‘To where?  To where am I stomping?!’ she chided herself.  ‘I can’t stop now.  Have to keep going or they gonna pester me some more!’  Stomping, slamming a door for good effect… ‘Okay, guess I don’t have a choice.  Have to go to my bedroom…again.  Damn it!’

‘For once, I’d just like to sit in the living room without them forever nagging me to “open up”!  I open up every day, don’t I?  I say “hi”.  I say “thank you”.  What more do they want?!”

She slammed her door…for more effect, and sat heavily on her twin bed.  ‘Now what?’ she thought.  ‘Suppose I could read that magazine again.  Trouble is,’ she thought looking at the 1999 date, ‘it’s a bit old.’

‘Oh well, nothing else to do.’  So, she gathered up the magazine, found her rocker and wrapped her shawl around her shoulders.  It was going to be another long day and at some point she was going to have to venture out to get her soup.  ‘I’ll deal with that when it gets here’ she thought.  Turning the page on her magazine, she promptly fell asleep.

‘One of the blessings of age,’ she would say upon awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment