Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Happy Endings

26 September 2012

Strangers came to my home the other day.
They dressed respectfully, hiding the gold
draping their necks and replacing high heels with thongs,
like mine.

But, they could not hide their riches behind sad eyes
or cautious greetings.
You see, they know how to use a toilet.

'A toilet', say you.  'What of this toilet?'
I'm trying to tell you.  They have seen a toilet.
They have used a toilet.

Wait.  I see the disdain in your eyes,
the incredulity, the thinly veiled disgust.
At first, I thought you shared my sense of the oddity
of this situation.
But, I see now that the disgust in your eyes is not
directed at the strangers.
It is a disgust for me.

But why?
I have done you no harm.
I have children, see?
I work 16 hours a day to earn
$1.00
so that I can buy food for them.
I'm sorry that I cannot dress as you.
Then there would be no food for my babies.

I'm sorry that I don't know of toilets.
There is no such thing in this place that I live.
Never in my life have I seen one.

Please, accept this gift of water
to quench your thirst in this hot climate.  No?
I'm sorry the river water doesn't please your palette.

Tell me, from where do you get the water in that bottle?
It is so clear.
Yes, thank you.  I would like to taste it.

It is so sweet, clean.
I have never tasted water like this before.
I am ashamed now for offering you the water
from my home.
It's all I have.
I'm so sorry.

I suppose you'll have to leave now.
Wait, don't forget your paper and pen.
No, I don't need it.  What would I do with a paper and pen?
Will it feed my children?  Can I sell it?

What will you do with that paper and pen?
Tell stories?  What stories will you tell?
Who will read them?
I hope there is a happy ending to your stories.
We all want that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment