Thursday, September 20, 2012

Time, an Ally; My Self, the Healer

21 September 2012
On this,
the anniversary of my brother’s passing,
I recall that for many years, the months of
September - November have been difficult for me.  
During these months, I have experienced
all of the major losses in my life.
It’s been 12 years now,
since the last loss shattered my life.
The pain and horror attending those losses
ravaged my heart, mind and soul
through many of those years.
But, time has passed,
and the jagged edges of the losses have smoothed,
in part perhaps because, like the drip of water on stone,
the steady passage of time slowly and persistently
permeated my hardened heart, broke loose the
decaying fragments of sorrow, and
washed them forever away.
There is more to the story,
though, than the simple passage of time.
I believe time was my ally, but not
the creative hand in my healing.
Its calm and resolute march into my future
steadied me through the convulsions of pain,
and gifted me with the opportunity to fully explore
and experience both the events bringing destruction
into my life, and perhaps more importantly,
the dark corners of my soul calling
for my attention and love.
These words are not meant to be the answer
to the questions that wake you from your sleep, or a salve
to the nightmares that visit you in the bright of day.
They are reflections only on my own journeys,
and a loving hand reaching from one to the other
to say that, healing is a gift offered you from this nightmare.
But healing can not come over night, for it requires that
you seek deeply within your self for the wounds
it has opened and the wisdom it offers.
So, time is your ally.
It will continue to patiently and
tirelessly march forward, offering you
another opportunity, and another, until
you find your way to healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment