Friday, September 14, 2012

Spirit Embodied

15 September 2012

'Why are you afraid?'  they ask me.
  'Why do you resist our walk with you?'

You frighten me.
  You take me to places far away,
  show me things I cannot understand.

I want to stay in these places,
  where I can feel wisdom as a blanket,
  warm and safe.

I don't want to return to the uncertainty,
  unknowing, confusion,
  and sometime chaotic experience
  of being human.

The things you share with me often surpass my understanding.
  I spend my days trying to understand the words
  that flow from my own fingers
  onto hitherto blank pages.

'We are always here with you,
  but we will always honor
  your request for our presence.
  You are not alone.
  You are never, have never, and never will be
  alone.'

'Aloneness is a story that you created.
  You create these stories
  so that you can learn and feel
  the experience they offer.'

What is it to be lonely?

When I am alone, does that create loneliness?

When I am in a crowd of people,
  does that create loneliness?

What does it mean
  that I am never alone,
  when so many times in my life
  I have felt so very alone,
  so very alone,
  so very,
  alone?

Yet, for all my questioning,
  I know somewhere deep inside me that it is true.
  I am never alone.

I am connected to something much larger
  than the physical manifestation in which I find my self.

I am spirit embodied.

I animate this being of flesh
  to experience,
  to learn,
  to witness,
  to grow.

I never die.

I am at once
  individual,
  and forever
  at one with the All.

So, my feelings of aloneness
  truly
  are a story that I have written for myself.

I create my experience of
  separation from others
  through the arbitrary boundaries I create...
  family,
  community,
  language,
  politics,
  economic 'status'...

These boundaries,
  which I create,
  give me the experience of aloneness,
  and loneliness.

At any time,
  I can change this storyline,
  and rejoin the All.

I can learn to take down the boundaries
  which I have created between myself
  and other living and inanimate beings.

I can feel the All of which I am a part.
  I can stop the illusion of separateness.

I am spirit embodied.

Others are not embodied, but walk with us nonetheless.
  When we leave this body,
  we will join them
  and will see again,
  for certain,
  that we never were alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment