Sunday, October 20, 2013

Precious Moments

Last night, I slept little
  due in part to the effects of perimenopause,
  but also to the wanderings of my mind through
  the landscape of life as it is now presents itself.

In those wanderings, I came upon an
  exquisite feeling and the realization
  that I had experienced another
  precious moment.

In the re-living of that moment, I examined
 how the ordinary was transformed
  into the extra-ordinary.
  And, this is what I saw.

I was at ease, comfortable almost immediately.
  I fell into the conversation quickly and found
  myself engaged at the level of 'real'.

I laughed and interacted as if with a long-time friend.
  There was a connect between we two
  that surpassed the persons sharing that moment.

Time collapsed into a smile, a comment, a thought.
  So alive was I in that moment that I cannot
  recall the others sharing that space with us.

In the blink of an eye, it was over, yet nigh two hours had passed.
  People, sounds, smells, time...all came back into focus.
  And, I remembered that I was just now meeting this person
  with whom I had shared this extraordinary moment!

So, I re-entered that other reality, dazed, smiling,
  grateful for that moment,
  that extra-ordinary moment.

In a life filled with so many moments ranging
  from blah to excruciatingly painful,
  extra-ordinary moments are a gift.

They often come to us without notice,
  are cloaked in the ordinary,
  and slip by in the everpresent
  pull of time on these mortal bodies.

But, their memory persists and reminds us
  that precious moments are possible,
  are there for each of us,
  are, quite simply, gifts.

All we need do is
  be open to them,
  learn to recognize them,
  enjoy them, and
  revel in the magic.

And then, be grateful
  for this gentle reminder
  that this life really is
  precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment