Thursday, October 18, 2012

Honoring our Mothers

In Honor of My Mother

In what I consider to be a severe failing of our society,
  my mother never reveled in the recognition enjoyed by my father,
  despite the fact that her contributions equaled his.

Our society reserves public accolades, vacations and monetary remuneration
  for those who work in the 'outside world'.

Those, primarily women, who work on the 'inside world'
  go unnoticed, never get vacations and remain financially vulnerable.

This was my mother's story.
  She was the head of our household on a daily basis.
  She raised the kids, made the hard decisions, worked the long hours...
  Additionally, she worked with my father through his entire career,
  the administrative assistant both at work and at home.

They were a team, he the writer, philosophizer, teacher;
  she the manager, administrator, organizer.
  Both were absolutely necessary.
  Yet, her name was not put in newsprint.

I was an adult before I finally realized the significance of her contribution
  to the church,
  to the countless children that enjoyed her love as a fostermother,
  to her own children,
  to her mother-in-law who counted on her during the last years of her life...

I thank you, mom.
  You taught me that the most important entry on my resume
  is my children.
  You are my hero.

I love you, Darlyn Rae Magis.

No comments:

Post a Comment