Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Great Halls of Sorrow...Part I

11 November 2009

My teacher wanted to do an energy healing with me.
  So, we started.

Immediately, the energy inside me broiled upon her touch,
  swirling, spinning, building, faster, faster, faster,
  mounting like a lion,
  air filling its lungs
  as it lifted its head to roar...

Suddenly, I was in a white palace, marble all round,
  statues, pillars, steps, beauty..
  I was dressed like royalty, and looking down,
  I saw that I was a young man.

Alone, stood I,
  in the middle of this decadence,
 recognizing this place as 'home'.

Great doors stood locked before me,
  the doors to the outside,
  the world of which I was not a part.

Slowly, the doors swung open,
  letting in the dark and a profound sense

  of despair.

Like a wave, the despair rolled over me, filled the room
  and pushed me closer and closer to the outside.

I stepped over the threshold into the darkness
  and saw upon my steps many people,
  splayed, lifeless as if destroyed in battle.

Death surrounded me, yet I saw no blood,
  only bodies as far as my eyes could see.
  Young, old, mothers, fathers, children

lying motionless in the dark.

And then, the anguish set in,
  deep, dark, horrible anguish
  that brought me to my knees
  as if I could feel each and every one
  dying in agony and hopelessness.

Even as the horror of death settled upon me
  I realized that I, alone, was safe
  from the scourge.

Behind colossal locked doors
  I could live in wealth,
  completely unaware of the devastation
  at my doorstep.

And with that realization set in a profound
  sense of shame.

'Why them and not me?'

Shame that I could not help,
  but that I stood helplessly by
  as so many suffered;
  shame that I ate to my fill
  each meal of the day as so many
  longed for just one morsel fallen from my table;
  shame that I was born to so much,
   expected so much,
  when so many were born to little or nothing.

What made me different?
Why me and not them?
Why them and not me?

Alone surrounded by black death
  I stood,
  clad in white and gold,
  sandals of leather,
  jewels marking my rank,
  surrounded by death.

And, the sudden realization
  that I deserved none of what
  I had been given,
  and that these
  deserved none of the black death
  to which they succumbed.

Startled by the cry that came from my lips;
  feeling the tears streaking my face;
  hearing the gentle call of my teacher
  to come back;
  devastated by the vision
  of me/him
  and the guilt
  for having lived when others
  did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment